Top 5 Tween gifts for kids ages 9 to 12 years old
As my kids get older it’s harder and harder to come up with great gift ideas especially as they enter that pre-teen age of 9 to 12 year old time called “Tweens.” As birthdays and holidays come around friends and family ask for gift and toy ideas so it’s really handy to have a list of presents your child might like that are affordable and hit the mark with your tween. We have some great ideas below.
By the time my daughter reached the age of 9 she pretty much had all of what she wanted in terms of toys. In fact, as we entered the tweens we found there was a turning point where she played less with toys and turned more towards music and computer games. She began to take more of a tween interest in her room, books, movies,and jewelry so friends and family needed more help selecting gifts.
We found that the most appreciated Tween gifts in the 9 to 12 year old age range have been:
1. Gift cards
Give the pre-teen in your life the gift of choice. Gift cards from at some for your Tweens favorite brick and mortar stores as well as online stores and video games make great gifts:
- Claire’s accessories
- Toys R Us for games, toys and gadgets
- Justice tween clothing
- Video game Sony Online Entertainment Station Cash
- iTunes for apps and music
- Pre-paid credit card for any whim
2. Art supplies
For your imaginative Tweens art supplies are fun gifts. To foster creativity stay out of the kid section and ask the sales staff for these great gift items:
- Clay and clay tools
- Fimo for sculpting and jewelry making
- A set of drawing pencils and erasers from Faber-Castell
- Beads and supplies for making jewelry
3. Tween bedroom decorations
Moving towards tween-hood making their bedroom their own becomes part of their sense of independence and individuality. Some great choices to tween-up a room:
- Lava Lamp
- Schylling Steel Safe with Alarm
- A journal with a lock and key
- Magnetic Dart Board
- Set of nice, no snag hair brushes, mirror and hair accessories
- Great decorative plush pillows
- An alarm clock with a docking station
Even if your tween isn’t an avid reader these books will engage them and with movies and merchandise tie-ins they can follow the trend and indulge in the fantasy.
- The Hunger Games series
- The Wimpy Kid series
- The Hobbit
- Mystery novels and non-fiction books in topics they like
5. Coupons for some special one on one time
Create custom coupons with favorite activities your tween will enjoy! Quality time with your tween = priceless.
- Manicure and pedicure with Mom
- Fancy dinner with dad
- Late night movie night
- Stay up late on a weekend
If you have a great idea for a Tween gift share it in the comments section! Have a younger child you’re shopping for, check out the Top 5 Gifts for RealKids ages 6 – 8 years old.